Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sum Blog #8

George Herbert Mead

      When considering the Generalized Other as continuing to exist as a member of a given group, it appears to simply be a process of maintaining a status quo. Whether it be as a member of a particular recreational activity group or that of a professional one, skills and abilities already possessed along with credit from previous time provide for a benefit. It is far to easy to maintain a relationship that has already been established.

     The more difficult part of socialization, it to create social ties and acceptance when one must begin with no advantage. The simple example of this is for an individual or group who have, by  choice or not, relocate to an area that is vastly different from where they have been accustomed. A simple example of this feeling could be demonstrated for an individual than drives a care every day. If you were to suddenly swap out the vehicle so that they now have to drive with a different configuration, they could have a feeling if not belonging inside that car.


     Last Saturday night I experienced the difficulties in transferring from one generalized other to another.

     When I was attending the International Dinner held at UWSP, I was comfortable with the random discussions that I had with the equally random fellow guests that I was sitting near. This was mainly in part due to the luck of having two of the other participants in discussion sharing similar backgrounds. One was a fellow Army veteran and the other also recently moved to Wisconsin from the Boston area.

     After the dinner however, I was engaged and invited by a group of students to go drinking at the bars down town. This group in question was at a majority made by students who were enrolled into the ESL (English as a Second Language) program. Thought the night they spoke almost exclusively in Spanish, which is a language I know little to none of. It was in the sense of socialization also awkward when I stopped drinking alcohol far earlier than the rest. Some success in this was achieved after I explained that I do not live in Stephen's Point, and had so sober up before driving home.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed hearing your take on part of Mead's theory. Generalized other theory was a bit confusing for me, so I am glad I had a little explination. I also liked the theory application to one of your own expiriences. I can totally relate to you too. I really enjoy hangning out with international students, but it does get super uncomfortable when they kind of cut you off from the group, they only talk to people from their country and they slowly start speaking their language. I always feel awkward at that point.

    ReplyDelete